Friday, June 10, 2011

Lemonbalm, Flea Beetles and CSA box #2! Woo hoo!

So I found out that the weird citronella smelling plant along my back fence is actually lemon balm.  I've never had lemon balm before, but I found out you can make lemon balm pesto and a bunch of other neat and yummy things, so I guess we'll be trying out some new recipes.

Lemon balm also repels insects, which might be why they are all living on my potted plants along that fence.  Now that the aphids have been destroyed (along with my original eggplant and cherry tomato plants) and I have replanted with seedlings bought from the most excellent Garden Dreams Urban Farm & Nursery, my poor replacement eggplant leaves are being made into swiss cheese by flea beetles.  Ugh.  I bought some neem oil spray so tomorrow we should be able to test it.


 The Space Miser has new blooms daily!


Our Kretschmann Farms CSA box had fresh strawberries, herbs, radishes, garlic scapes, kale and lots of different lettuces.


The kids were most excited about the new lettuce.  They're pretty used to the bland tasteless iceberg that we buy, so this was a very flavorful treat.


A view of the whole box.

No comments:

Post a Comment