Monday, April 30, 2012

Harvest Monday: End of April

Once again I actually have a harvest (not bad for April gardening in Pennsylvania with no cold frame) but it's still just one veggie.   Better than nothing!  Head on over to Daphne's Dandelions and check out this week's Harvest Monday post to see what everyone else has been harvesting.

Our radish harvest for the week.

It seems that we are not the only things enjoying the radishes.  I did see several tiny millipedes  in the ground, but I don't know if they caused the radishes to split or just ate the holes into them.

The brassicas are coming along nicely, though I will have to thin them soon.  

The lettuce is also coming along nicely.

The peas growing in the back of the garlic bed finally have a trellis to climb.  I used two U posts and some plastic deer fencing.

7 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking great! You will have a lot of nice harvests in the future, it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! Radishes and other root crops will split if they get a little too dry and then get a lot of water, same for tomatoes and lots of other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Nice. I don't even have my cabbages planted yet! I am in zone 5b. What zone are you in? I just started a garden blog this year. Nancy at Cozy Thyme Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prairie Cat: Thanks!

    Mary: I'm very familiar with the tomatoes splitting (oh boy am I ever) but I don't feel like these beds have really had much chance to dry out. Maybe the weird fluctuating temps have made them more sensitive?


    Nancy: I went to your blog and I think we're in similar climates. I'm in Pittsburgh which just got bumped up to zone 6 this year. I got the cabbages planted WAY early this year but considering how big they've gotten I'll probably do the same next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Radishes are always so pretty. I'm hoping to harvest a few of mine soon. They are sizing up fast with all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, your brassicas are big. Ours are doing alright. We hope they keep coming along as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine did so poorly last season that I banked on losing a bunch and have now ended up with too many, too crowded! I'll send some good brassica vibes your way...

    ReplyDelete